- This event has passed.
October 4, 2013 - October 5, 2013
Unfortunately, due to the government shutdown, the 50th anniversary events and activities scheduled for Oct. 4 and 5 at the National Naval Aviation Museum are postponed to a date yet to be determined.
If you were attending the 50th anniversary gala on Saturday night, Oct. 5, we can apply your tickets to the rescheduled event. Any tickets purchased for the Gala can also be considered a full tax deductible contribution to the Naval Aviation Museum Foundation or refunded. For further information please contact Leslie Geiger
Saturday, October 5th, 2013
Please join us on Saturday, October 5, 2013, when the Naval Aviation Museum Foundation will host a black-tie celebration commemorating the 50th Anniversary of the National Naval Aviation Museum, featuring the music of New Orlean’s Jimmy Maxwell Orchestra and the unveiling of a new Museum exhibit.50 years ago on June 8, 1963, the Naval Aviation Museum (now National Naval Aviation Museum) opened its doors in a renovated wood frame building constructed during World War II. With only 8,500 square feet of space, the Museum displayed five aircraft which were rotated periodically with others in storage aboard NAS Pensacola. Since that day, the Museum has been through several phases of expansion, bringing the total display area to nearly 350,000 square feet with more than 150 beautifully restored aircraft representing Navy, Marine Corps and Coast Guard Aviation.
50th Anniversary Events
Friday, October 4th
- 9:00 a.m.: Museum opens. First fifty (50) entrants receive a free souvenir Museum Commemorative Coin (one per family).
- 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.: Enjoy Naval Aviation in Art by nationally known artists in the Museum’s Quarterdeck (main entrance) area.
- 10:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.: A walk through Naval Aviation history; tour guides detail signal eras in Naval Aviation (8 stations).
- All Day: See a static display of the latest in aerospace technology, Northrop-Grumman’s X-47B unmanned aircraft.
Saturday, October 5th
- 10:00 a.m.: Museum opens. First fifty (50) entrants receive free souvenir Museum Commemorative Coin (one per family).
- 10:30 am to 4:00 p.m.: Enjoy a show featuring a fleet of one of America’s most famous and popular autos, the Ford Mustang, as it approaches its 50th anniversary in 2014.
- 10:30 am to 4:30 pm: A walk through Naval Aviation history; tour guides detail signal eras in Naval Aviation (8 stations).
- 11:00 a.m.: Free showing of the Blue Angels in action, The Magic of Flight, in vivid IMAX.
- 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.: See a static display of the latest in aerospace technology, Northrop Grumman’s X-47B unmanned aircraft.
- 12:00 p.m. to 12:30 p.m.: Dedication ceremony of our latest aircraft restoration, a rare combat veteran F6F-3 Hellcat, Bureau Number 25910, which fought over the Solomon Islands. The recovery and restoration has been funded by the Jack Taylor family of Enterprise Rent-A-Car.
- 6:30 p.m. to 11:00 p.m.: A black-tie celebration will be held on the Museum’s USS Cabot (CVL-28) flight deck, featuring New Orleans’ Jimmy Maxwell Orchestra and the unveiling of a new Museum exhibit. Reservations are required. Ticket price is $125 per person.
Both days: Enjoy a special 50th Anniversary menu at the Cubi Point Café, and shop for specialty items at our Flight Deck Museum Store.
For more information and sponsorship opportunities call 850.453.2389 or email Leslie Geiger.
Four Star ($5,000+)
Three Star ($2,500+)
Two Star ($1,000+)