Emerson Turret (Hangar Bay One)
This ball turret was built for the P2V-5, which first flew in December 1950. The original Neptune design had a fixed battery of six 20mm guns in the nose, which required that the aircraft be flown like a fighter to fire at targets. With the ball turret, the aircraft could remain in any flight attitude and the gunner could follow the target with the gun sights. As the mission of the P2V evolved, the turret became obsolete, causing later versions of the P2V to have the turret removed and replaced with a clear glass observation nose.